Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera Munoz <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Martin_Hurst(at)dom(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /
Date: 2003-11-21 21:21:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:00:18PM -0500, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what they are giving people who ask these days for
>> MaxDB? Does that product exist or is even out there as a BETA yet? All I
>> have seen so far where some vague statements that it will be based on
>> some old SAPDB code and maybe pieces of old MySQL technology, but mostly
>> be new development.
>
> IIRC the press release mentioned that MaxDB will have MySQL compatibility
> "soon", so it doesn't have it now. Maybe it's just the SAP DB code ...

That could be. Then the question becomes, what will happen to the
existing MySQL 4.0 product when they have that compatibility and how
will the MaxDB licensing satisfy existing MySQL users? And of course,
how will that thing perform in the MySQL compatibility mode?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #