Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martin_Hurst(at)dom(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is Postgesql ? - MYSQL SURPRISES WITH MAXDB /
Date: 2003-11-21 21:00:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> Martin_Hurst(at)dom(dot)com writes:
>> I am not seeing the same news coverage being said about Postgresql.
>
> MySQL AB recently got ~ $20M in venture funding, and they are investing
> large chunks of it in marketing. We just have to weather the ad campaign.
> At the rate they're going they'll be through that money soon ;-)

I was wondering what they are giving people who ask these days for
MaxDB? Does that product exist or is even out there as a BETA yet? All I
have seen so far where some vague statements that it will be based on
some old SAPDB code and maybe pieces of old MySQL technology, but mostly
be new development.

I think a couple press people got fairly confused out there and are
reporting attributes that are planned for some future product as being
available in the current MySQL 4.x product.

Not sure that was intended, but nice marketing job anyway.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #