Cancel a query when user leaves a web page

From: Noel <noel(dot)faux(at)med(dot)monash(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Cancel a query when user leaves a web page
Date: 2003-11-18 02:33:30
Lists: pgsql-php
Hi all,

I have a small problem. Is it possible to cancel a running query when a
person leave or pressed the stop button in my web page.

I've been thinking about mixing php and javascript. Is this the best way
to go about it?

basic out line of my code:
<?php
    $connection = pg_connect(host, dbname, user);

    pg_send_query($connection, "SELECT * FROM blah");

    // collect the results and display etc..
?>
The query can take some time.
And when the page is left the query is still running on postmaster.

Have tried
<?php
    include "functions.php";
    $connection = pg_connect(host, dbname, user);
?>
<?php
    echo $connection;
    pg_send_query($connection, "SELECT * FROM blah");

    // collect the results and display etc..
?>

The function, close_connection($connection), is defined in the include
file, which is the connection is busy, cancels the query and closes the
connection.

This gives the following error:

Resource id #1
Warning: pg_send_query(): 1 is not a valid PostgreSQL link resource in
/home/fauxn/public_html/singleAArepeats/test.php on line 11

Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks

--
Noel Faux