Re: wxGTK2ud BuildRequires dependencies

From: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
To: jm(at)poure(dot)com
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wxGTK2ud BuildRequires dependencies
Date: 2003-11-17 20:19:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>A lot more. A least, expat-devel, pango-devel, zlib-devel, X11-foo-devel,
>iconv-devel, etc... See the list below. Under SuSE and Mandrake, many of
>these libraries have different naming schemes.

I may be wrong on this one, but I don't think there's any need to list
these dependencies in the BuildRequire line.  For example, by adding
gtk2-devel, we implicity add these packages:

[fmonkey(at)wrty Development]$ rpm -qR gtk2-devel
XFree86-devel
atk-devel >= 1.0.0-1
glib2-devel >= 2.2.0-1
gtk2 = 2.2.4
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libdl.so.2
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
libglib-2.0.so.0
libgmodule-2.0.so.0
libgobject-2.0.so.0
libm.so.6
pango-devel >= 1.2.0-3
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
[fmonkey(at)wrty Development]$

In order to get gtk2-devel installed, these packages would also have to
be installed.  Also, any packages that those listed packages depend on
would also have to be installed.  Thus, by putting just gtk2-devel on
the BuildRequires line, we implicity pull in the whole dependency tree
for that package.

>Since RPMs have automatic binary dependencies, looking at the SRPM rebuild log
>is enough for me ... All libraries should display "yes" or "sys".

What do you mean by automatic binary dependencies?  I thought that RPM
dependencies were enforced by the "Requires:" line in the spec file.

ahp