context-switching issue on Xeon

From: "Sailer, Denis (YBUSA-CDR)" <Denis(dot)Sailer(at)Yellowbook(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: context-switching issue on Xeon
Date: 2005-07-19 18:23:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

The thread below has the test case that we were able to use to reproduce
the issue.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-04/msg00280.php

The last messages on this subject are from April of 2005. Has there
been any successful ways to significantly reduce the impact this has to
multi-processing? I haven't been able to find anything showing a
resolution of some kind.

We are seeing this on two of our machines:

Quad 3.0 GHz XEON with 3GB of memory running PG 7.4.3 with SuSE kernel
2.4

Dual 2.8 GHz XEON with 2GB of memory running PG 8.0.0 with SuSE kernel
2.4