Re: Committing Resources to Win32

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Committing Resources to Win32
Date: 2003-11-11 16:33:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
>IMO, The answer is yes.  Don't take my word for it though, download the
>PeerDirect port and slam it a bit, and compare vs. a similar *nix
>version running pg 7.2.1.  (or, run the cygwin version).   In my
>experience, the cygwin version runs just fine performance wise, the only

Try running the Cygwin version with more that 65 connections.
Try running the Cygwin version doing more than 10,000 transactions over
5 connections (50,000 transactions). Now run a vacuum.
Try running the Cygwin version doing more than 10,000 transactions over
5 connections (50,000 transactions),  run
an application that during that test will turn a tif into a postscript
file for 5 different people and then load it into the
database....

Cygwin is fine if you want MS Access level performance (O.k. that is a
little harsh but close).
Cyrgin is not fine if you want Linux/FreeBSD or any semblance thereof
performance.

>problem is the ipc-daemon which has a tendency to crash.  It seems
>slower on writes, but that is strictly anecdotal.  With synching off, it
>hums along happily.

It is slower on rights, connection startup, limited on connections,
tcp/ip transfer and you should
never run PostgreSQL with sync off unless you are not worried about data
integrity.

>The perceived win32 process management problems are a total red herring.

I disagree... read the other posts. CreateProcess does not scale like
CreateThread.

>Practical matters of development should outweigh performance
>concerns...do you want to be writing a fork, or a port?  A functional
>server can be optimized a lot easier than a planned one.  Are you
>comfortable that 320 hours is enough time to complete a threaded
>version?  Developer skill level and familiarity with the databases
>sources will play into that.

I don't know that 320 hours would deliver a threaded port but I also
don't want to go at this
the wrong way.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake