Re: Committing Resources to Win32

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Committing Resources to Win32
Date: 2003-11-10 21:11:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

> The requirement is that we can build with opensource tools. I'm quite
> prepared to buy the (cheap version of) VC++, but only as a last resort.

Sorry for the late reply in this. I was ill all last week. Although I
understand and commend the idea that we should be able to build with
Open Source tools, the question comes to "What if the Open Source tools
aren't good enough?". We could always use Borland or Intel.

Win32 has shown a great performance boost for itself when using a
threaded model of the process model. It could be argued (I read
somewhere but can't remember where) that a great deal of the recent
Apache growth (last 12 months) is due to the fact that they
finally delivered a product that works on Win32 correctly (Apache 2.x).

I believe that Apache 2.x is not completly threaded.. don't they use
some kind of hybrid model?

Hmmm... maybe this all becomes moot if we also do connection pooling?

This all comes about because the customer that has requested that I put
resources into the Win32 port is a customer that comes
from Oracle. Their remark was that Oracle tried to go in a very similar
direction during their initial Win32 port and it failed miserably.
I believe the customer said it was during Oracle 7.x?

Anyway.. the point is that I want to make sure we do it right and not
have to go back to the drawing board. We are not talking about the
differences between FreeBSD and Linux here. Win32 is an entirely
different beast.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com