Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM
Date: 2003-11-04 21:17:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
scott.marlowe wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>The main problem with this is knowing which files need to be fsync'd.
>>

>Wasn't this a problem that the win32 port had to solve by keeping a list
>of all files that need fsyncing since Windows doesn't do sync() in the
>classical sense?  If so, then could we use that code to keep track of the
>files that need fsyncing?

according to the win32 page at
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/win32.html this is
still to be done. I seem to recall Bruce saying that SRA had found the
solution to this, something along these lines, but I am not sure the
code is there yet (don't have access to that branch on this machine)

cheers

andrew