Re: 7.4RC1 tag'd, branched and bundled ...

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 7.4RC1 tag'd, branched and bundled ...
Date: 2003-11-04 14:27:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:

>>>that won't be in v7.4, to the best of my knowledge ...
>>

>> Definitely not.  It's a very experimental patch.
>
> I not agree, is an experimental patch that introduce just
> a delay, you now it better than me, and this delay can be
> shipped with a default value 0.
> Alias an experimental feature that can be disabled.

Something that knowingly introduces portability issues and platform
dependant behaviour is absolutely inacceptable this late in the release
cycle where we already have a significant number of platform reports.
Configurable or not doesn't matter.

> I think that we are going to see a lot of 7.4 installation
> with that patch applied.

We are using usleep() and other equally risky functionality here to
quickly get something hooked together that confirms one theory or
another. We explicitly discourage people from attempting to squeeze this
sort of theory evaluation code into production installations.

Jan