Re: setting up the user postgres on mac osx

From: Jeffrey Melloy <jmelloy(at)visualdistortion(dot)org>
To: Byron Amerson <byronea(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: setting up the user postgres on mac osx
Date: 2003-10-31 22:38:44
Lists: pgsql-novice
Byron Amerson wrote:

>I have several mac osx specific questions related to postgresql.
>background info: an apparently successful build of postgres 7.4beta5 on an
>imac with osx 10.3.  readline by fink in the standard fink directory /sw
>1. What is the best way to set up a new user for use by PostgreSQL?  Via
>accounts on the preferences panel, netinfo, or at the command line with
>niutil?  So far I am having marginal luck with netinfo. Basically, where
>should this user postgres's home directory be?  I assume I should put a start
>up script for tcsh here?  Should the user postgres have write
>permission tothis home directory?  Additionally it seems silly to have the
>user postgres having the option to log on at start up similar to a regular
>user in addition to all of teh default directories like documemnts, music etc
>(as when a new user is created in the accounts panel of preferences).
I recommend using netinfo.  The postgres user doesn't really need a home
directory (I might've used /usr/local/pgsql/) and if you have a UID/GID
of less than 500, they don't show up in the login window.  postgres
does, however, need to have a shell set, or you can't su to it.

>2.  When I was attempting to set up my postgres build on 10.2 I had some
>difficulty with the logfile.  Where is this logfile writtem to?  It seemed
>that the script couldn't write the logfile due to some permissions issue -
>is this a corect assumtion? That is, does the user postgres need to
>have permission to write to the directory where the logfile normally is
>placed (sorry so vague here, I've yet to try it out just yet on my new
The postgres user needs to be able to write to the directory, yes.  Make
sure you are setting the logfile to the /usr/local/pgsql/ directory (or
wherever) by specifying either an absolute path or starting from that

>3. Should the user postgres also be in its own group?

I've written a short installation procedure for installing on Panther at (you can ignore
the bit about Adium, of course)