Re: CREATE TYPE for case insensitive text and varchar

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Migowski <nur-gueltig-bis-2003-12-01(at)Mig-O(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE TYPE for case insensitive text and varchar
Date: 2003-10-31 03:38:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Daniel Migowski <nur-gueltig-bis-2003-12-01(at)Mig-O(dot)de> writes:
>> I miss the possibility to code something like a userdifined
>> varchar(n).
>
> You're out of luck on that. The data types that can have precision
> parameters attached to them are hard-wired into the parser.

Maybe you don't need to invent a whole new data type but the existing
varchar can serve just fine?

The attached script for version 7.3.4 (does not work with 7.4)
demonstrates how to add case insensitive operators *=, *> and so on
including an operator class for btree to the existing varchar.

All one has to do is to use *= instead of = in queries. Indexes, even
unique, based on case insensitive comparision are possible too and well
supported. The only thing I think wouldn't work are IN and NOT IN
constructs.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #

Attachment Content-Type Size
case_insensitive_varchar.sh text/plain 3.2 KB