Re: Connnection to SSL enabled server

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: timothy(dot)r(dot)morley(at)kc(dot)frb(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>, Jean-Michel POURE <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Connnection to SSL enabled server
Date: 2003-10-30 14:28:14
Lists: pgadmin-support

timothy(dot)r(dot)morley(at)kc(dot)frb(dot)org wrote:

> I've done some more testing. I installed pgadmin3-1.0.1 and
> pgadmin3-1.1.0-cvs20031030 on a Mandrake 9.2 box. The Mandrake 9.2
> box has all updates applied and is running openssl-0.9.7b-4.1.92mdk.
> When I connect from this machine to my SSL enabled PostgreSQL machine
> pgadmin3 crashes(both versions) when I try to execute a query. I can
> use either version to connect to my nonSSL PostgreSQL server and I can
> execute a query. So here is a summary of my current results.
>
> Server: PostgreSQL 7.3.4 compiled with option --with-openssl. Openssl
> version 0.9.7c.
> 1. RedHat9 client: Pgadmin3 crashes when executing a query while
> connected to the SSL enabled PostgreSQL server. Pgadmin3 executes
> query against a nonSSL PostgreSQL server and against the SSL enabled
> server when ssl = false is set in postgresql.conf. Client has
> openssl-0.9.7a installed.
> 2. Mandrake 9.2 client: Same results as with RedHat9 client. Client
> has openssl-0.9.7b-4.1.92mdk installed.
> 3. Slackware 9.1: All queries on all servers work. Client has
> openssl-0.9.7b installed.

So this seems to be not a ssl version problem, but something about the
platforms. We can reduce you results to
- RedHat9 and Mandrake 9.2 won't work
- Slackware does.
Maybe we need special compiler/link flags for RH and Mandrake :-(

Did you try the binary versions too? Jean-Michel, what's happening on
your machines when connecting with ssl=require?

Regards,
Andreas