Re: logging messages this time

From: "Eric S(dot) Johansson" <esj(at)harvee(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logging messages this time
Date: 2003-10-29 18:44:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom, thanks for the reply.

Tom Lane wrote:

> Turning on log_connections and log_statement certainly ought to produce
> more output than you are getting. I wonder if maybe you are editing the
> wrong copy of postgresql.conf --- people have made that mistake before.
> The right copy is the one in the PGDATA directory (-D postmaster argument).
> Don't forget that you need to either SIGHUP or restart the postmaster to
> get it to take notice of changes in postgresql.conf.

I double checked. First, I'm editing the file that was created when I
initialized the database as a side effect of the first time it was
started, and second, confirmed the location by looking as you suggested
in the startup script for the -D argument.

as for restarting, I was trying pg_ctl reload but that didn't seem to
work so I use the init script to stop and start postmaster.

This is a weird one. I'm probably missing something really basic that I
don't even know enough to describe or look for in the manual. From what
I understand, I needed to turn on the various logging statements and
syslog configuration statements then restart postmaster and I should be
able to get logged messages, right?

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use. Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears