Re: Constraint Bug

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Trevor McGing <tmcging(at)strategyanalytics(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Constraint Bug
Date: 2003-10-29 16:45:37
Lists: pgadmin-support
Trevor McGing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Platform Windows XP
>
> Distribution you used (Binary pgAdmin 3 )
>
> I have been using pgAdmin 2 under dbexperts postgresql 7.2 for
> windows.  Where I created a database.
>
> I have just upgraded to dbexperts Postgresql 7.3.4 for windows,
> migrated the database from one version to the other and I am now using
> pgAdmin 3.  Everything seamed to be OK until I looked at the FK
> constraints.  At first I thought it was a problem with the migration,
> so I re-created the Contraints using pgAdmin 3, which there was no
> problem in doing.  However I then went back to pg Admin 2 to see if it
> would show the contraints as a check, it compained about duplicate
> contriaints being present.  After removing the Constraints that I had
> just added in pgAdmin 3, pgAdmin 2 allowed me to see the contraints
> without any errors.
>
> To sum up pgAdmin 3 does not seam to be displaying the FK contraint
> information at all, either in the dialog boxes or the SQL code, and
> does not complain if you re-add a constraint that is already there.

This problem is not known. Can you supply a small ddl script of some
tables and FKs so we can have a look at it?
The problem might result from an old style FK representation (actually
no constraint, but a trigger), which should be converted to new style
(I'm no expert for <= 7.2, so it's just a guess)

Regards,
Andreas