Re: pg_user

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: ivan <iv(at)psycho(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_user
Date: 2003-10-27 20:48:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ivan wrote:

> hi
>
> can we change initdb when view pg_user is createing to :
>
> CREATE VIEW pg_user AS \
> SELECT \
> usename, \
> usesysid, \
> usecreatedb, \
> usesuper, \
> usecatupd, \
> '********'::text as passwd, \
> valuntil, \
> useconfig \
> FROM pg_shadow WHERE usename = SESSION_USER;

No, at least not without a complete proposal how to retain the current
behaviour of pg_tables, pg_views, psql's \d and other places that rely
on pg_user being able to display all users.

It's the same thing with your /etc/passwd. chmod o-rwx /etc/passwd will
hide the usernames but break many utilities. If you don't want someone
to know all the logins, don't give him one.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #