Re: device full ---> postgres will not start

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Duffy House <kevin07(at)optonline(dot)net>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: device full ---> postgres will not start
Date: 2003-10-26 23:41:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Duffy House wrote:

> Hello:
>
> It looks like I got caught sleeping.
>
> I am running Postgresql 7.2 under Red Hat 7.3.
> Postgresql failed today. When I tried to restart it, I got a message
> stating that the device is full.
> I used df to confirm that /var where postgres reside is full. /var is
> on a 4 Gig device.
> Postgresql is the only application on this machine.
>
> Please note, the backup of the database from the prior day, is 45 Meg
> zipped.
> I do not know how the database could be soaking up a 4 Gig device.
>
> Questions:
>
> How can I recover from this situation?

Var contain also all log file of your box I guess.
Go on your directory data ( on RH is on /var/lib/pgsql/data )
and do :

du -sh

if is really 4GB move your data directory in another big partition,
make a simbolink link with your old location, start postgres and
do a vacuum full of your database.

if is not really 4GB do a log rotate of your logs.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola