Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Diogo Biazus <diogo(at)ikono(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2003-10-24 19:42:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>- Creating a standard in PostgreSQL training all over the world.
>>- Creating a certification on which people and companies could truly
>>rely on.
>>- Preventing people who never contributed to the project in any way to
>>make money with certification and bring money to people who would
>>dedicate some time to the comunity.
>>- It would make the community a little bit stronger, I guess.
>>

>This seems very hard to do.  How do we decide which companies qualify?

First we would have to define what a certified person should be able to
do, and then develop a descriptive document.
The company which is trying to get the certification would send the
program of the
course, and it will have to fit in some predefined rules like the
certification exam.
Perhaps the company would pay a fee to a non-profit organization (like
Joshua wrote in another email) in order to suport the certification
structure.

Other benefit is that it's an incentive for those who want to work with
PostgreSQL training in their countries,
after all it would be an internationaly recognized certificate, this
makes the taining course more atractive.
And it's good for the database adminitrators too.

We could count on the regional contacts (me for example) to make the
necessary translations and contacts.
I know that the third item on my list may be not a very good idea,
that's why I want to discuss it.
But to have a standard in certification programs would be very good
apart from that.

My regards,

--
Diogo Biazus