Re: [HACKERS] Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: jm(at)poure(dot)com, Bruno LEVEQUE <bruno(dot)leveque(at)net6d(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org,Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,Vincent Harcq <vha(at)audaxis(dot)com>, Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jpargudo(at)free(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Mapping Oracle types to PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-10-21 18:56:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
Hi guys,

Jorg Janke (the "main" Compiere person) and I had a brief dicussion last
year.

Pretty much he asked if PostgreSQL (either the company and/or the
community) would be interested in _making PostgreSQL compatible with
Compiere_ or if not, then how about we and _make and maintain_ a fork of
PostgreSQL that did the right kind of transaction support to work
Compiere.  The return for doing that would have been for PostgreSQL to
the be Compiere "default" (recommended) database.

Pointed out to him that it was unlikely to happen from the Community's
point of view, but if there could be a good case made for it from a
profitability point of view then it wouldn't hurt to consider it as far
as a company-done-thing.

For this to occur, we needed statistics of how many end user
installations of Compiere there are, and then we'd try and use that to
get a realistic idea of market demand for PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL
services from that, etc.  (i.e. decent common sense to start with)

Jorg absolutely refused to co-operate.  The only information he was
willing to provide was to point at the number of downloads.

Suggested to him that it would likely be worth putting some kind of
"installation" counting measures in places so we could at least get an
idea of real world terms, but instead he just got offended that the
download counter wasn't enough.  (and I was *Really* super nice in my
approach here, trying to suggest getting information that *any* place
would have found absolutely necessary at a very minimum in order to proceed)

No dice.  Spoke to a few others, and they had the same opinion of that
situation - *not business practical* (especially with an unfriendly
requestor).

That being said, if this effort to get Compiere and PostgreSQL working
does happen successfully, then all the better.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift