Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

Re: EditGrid options

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EditGrid options
Date: 2003-10-19 10:50:52
Message-ID: 3F926C8C.3000807@pse-consulting.de (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>It's rumoured that Andreas Pflug once said:
>  
>
>>Hi Dave,
>>
>>I just had a look at your recent work, and have some remarks.
>>
>>- You know I'm not really a fan of popup windows (especially the modal
>>ones), can't we implement this in a different way?
>>    
>>
>
>I don't think it's an unreasonable use of a modal dialogue - I think it's
>more intuitive than using seperate tab on the main form and having an
>apply button either update invisible data, or control the tabset.
>  
>
I didn't spent too much time thinking about how it should look, just 5 
seconds, but a modal dialog is the 0.1 second solution...

>>- The sort (filter-to-come) options are not visible.
>>    
>>
>
>Not sure what you mean. The filter options aren't visible because I
>haven't implemented them yet. That's planned for this week, but should be
>quicker and easier than sort, even with syntax validation.
>  
>
I mean that applied filter (as soon as it is implemented) and sorting 
should be visible, not hidden in that options dialog. This is especially 
senseful if you insert something out of the scope of the filter, and do 
a refresh ("hell, where did my data go!")

>>- for very large tables, it's annoying if the query is run immediately
>>when starting the EditGrid, without a chance to restrict it. We might
>>need a second menu entry to EditGrid like "View filtered data"
>>    
>>
>
>Perhaps an 'auto query' option on the form would be appropriate. A toggle
>button as per MS Query.
>  
>
No, thats *not* what I'm talking about.
I'll be using EditGrid normally for small tables, thus I need autoquery 
90% of the time (no filter, no sort). The other 10 % might be very long 
running, thus I'd like the option to enter the grid, having the chance 
to filter before the query executes.
This would look&feel very dirty if filtering is done using a modal 
dialog....


>>- Maybe we could use a wxNotebook, first tab is the data, tab text
>>shows  filter and sort, second tab is "options"
>>    
>>
>
>Like I said, I'm not convinced that would be easy to make behave as it
>should.
>  
>
Notebook was just the first thought, propose something better.
Some expandable/collapsable options pane would be possible.

>>- The button sizes on the options dlg don't conform to the latest
>>design  guide.
>>    
>>
>
>The OK/Cancel are, the others aren't because the text is too long. It
>would probably just fit in English, but there are other less terse
>languages as we know.
>  
>
How about abbrevations if it really doesn't fit? This looks *ugly*!

>>Just a hint: when inheriting a dlg from dlgProperty, it will have some
>>handy methods for listviews available, supplying DlgUnit sizing,
>>headers  filling the rest of the control, ...
>>Pixels are no legal positioning/sizing units any more.
>>    
>>
>
>I didn't use pixels anywhere did I?
>
>  
>
Yep, you already found it. Still, I wonder why you don't use the 
existing methods. Creating the lb columns is a one-liner.

Regarding the ctlSQLBox xrc attachment: IMHO it's saver to implement a 
custom xrc handler for this; I'll check it in soon.

Regards,
Andreas



In response to

Responses

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2003-10-19 12:03:38
Subject: Re: EditGrid options
Previous:From: Dave PageDate: 2003-10-18 20:10:56
Subject: Re: EditGrid options

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group