Re: MySQL interview, no mention of PostgreSQL

From: Bruno LEVEQUE <bruno(dot)leveque(at)libertysurf(dot)fr>
To: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>
Cc: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL interview, no mention of PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-10-15 14:38:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Tim Conrad wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 10:59:03PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
>
>>I bet the win32 port will help advocacy a lot. The other thing that
>>would help I think would be to make it as friendly as possible for ISPs
>>to do virtual hosting. Schemas are probably helping that a lot already,
>>and the only other thing I can think of in that area would be resource
>>monitoring/control. I'm not suggesting that MySQL is better for virtual
>>hosting, but perhaps if PostgreSQL makes it easier than that will give
>>us an edge.
>

> I'd think a 'translation' guide would help just as much, if not
> more. A guide that says in Oracle, you use 'describe tablename', in
> Postgres, you use '\d tablename'. It's there, it's just different.
> Same goes for MySQL stuff. I know this was one of my major
> frustrations when learning Postgres, is just the minor differences
> like that. I realize that this stuff is available via other means,
> but having a translation guide would be very helpful as well.

Yes. Each time I need to search something about query I use the book
"LAN Times Guide to sql - Osborne" and I find in it this translation
guide for several DB. Some time it is what I need.

> Also, keep in mind that a lot of developers aren't DBA's. Many
> people that use the 'LAMP' platform have only used MySQL, and maybe
> a handful of other things. They're used to writing their
> applications to have a fair amount of database logic in the
> application itself, simply because it's not possible with MySQL.

One time a software is MySQL compliant it is hard to change even this
the "LAMP"

> What I had in mind on this topic would be some simple
> databases and documentation that
> would outline some of the more advanced features of Postgres, like
> triggers, stored proceedures and so on. First, describing what the
> function is, or what it does, then moving on to why you should use
> it. I suppose, an 'Advanced SQL in a nutshell' guide.
>
> Just my $.02 worth. :)
>
> Tim

I think it is not harder to optimize Postgres than MySql if there is a
very good documentation about.
In a job, I used MySQL and when the time of optimization became, we
needed the help of a MySQL expert from Mysql inc.

Bruno