Re: [BUGS] bug reporting

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Alexandr S <sasha(at)in(dot)crimea(dot)ua>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] bug reporting
Date: 2003-10-10 16:18:57
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-bugs

Alexandr S wrote:

> Next bug.
> --with full russian version of Pgadmin 3.1 (with russian title of
> column and russian inserted data) : there is problem when selecting,
> inserting relatively large block of data (for example , excerpt of
> some text about 100 words size and more). Pgadmin suddenly ends to
> work and then I have to start pgadmin again, but fortunately data don
> t loose. And pgadmin don t export any russian data to *.csv or
> *.dat - pgadmin suddenly ends to work without saving any data. As I
> understood, there is patch that solve this problems, so I hope new
> version of pgadmin will appear as soon as possible.

Hi Alexandr,
There's no patch pending, how did you try to insert the data? Can you
supply samples of data, so we can see what's going wrong?

> --with full english version of Pgadmin : this problems absent , but
> there is one thing that I don t understand and don t like me. When
> exporting relatively large block of data (text with, for example, 100
> words size) pgadmin saves to *.csv only little part of data in the
> end of which follows ".." . So pgadmin don t safe full content of
> row. Is it right behavior? How can I safe full content of a row?

The column size of the Query Tool is limited, you can change the setting
in options. Anyhow, if the data is larger than 511, windows will
truncate it.
The next version of pgAdmin3 will include a "execute to file", which
won't suffer any truncation (until the disk is full :-)

> --when inserting large block of text , data often aligns along one
> long line, so its hard to view such data. It would be better if data
> take the form of sell like , for example, Pgaccess does.

Don't know how you'd like it. Some kind of autowrap? You could split lines:

INSERT INTO mytable(foo, bar) VALUES (1, 'this is my line ||
' and this too'

Regards,
Andreas