more setlocale fun

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: more setlocale fun
Date: 2003-10-10 14:31:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
backend/main/main.c contains this code:

    /*
     * Set up locale information from environment.  Note that LC_CTYPE and
     * LC_COLLATE will be overridden later from pg_control if we are in an
     * already-initialized database.  We set them here so that they will
     * be available to fill pg_control during initdb.  LC_MESSAGES will get
     * set later during GUC option processing, but we set it here to allow
     * startup error messages to be localized.
     */
    setlocale(LC_COLLATE, "");
    setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "");
#ifdef LC_MESSAGES
    setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, "");
#endif

Unfortunately, on Windows this won't have the desired effect, as
setlocale(category,"") apparently does not read from the environment,
which we will have been careful to set up in initdb - it reads from the
current codepage settings, it seems.

On Windows we'll have to do something like this, I think:

  char * loc;
  if ((loc = getenv("LC_CTYPE") != NULL)
    setlocale(LC_CTYPE,loc);
  else