Re: Keep-alive?

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Keep-alive?
Date: 2003-10-10 12:52:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page wrote:

>>- this works only for the main window, not for those getting
>>their own connection. The wxWin timer will conflict with the
>>threaded executed queries, because it's not aware of
>>previously or currently executed queries.
>>

>It purposefully only works on the master connection to each server as
>there is no point in individually polling individual databases on the
>same server.

Each database has its own connection to the server (just checked with
netstat), and thus is individually target of a firewall surveillance/
forced tcp disconnect.

> Unless you've changed the code from what I originally
>wrote, the master connection will never be used for threaded queries.

Wouldn't make sense to thread them too, but what about disconnects on
Query Tool, Data Grid etc?

>>- Does it work at all? pgConn is no window, so where should
>>the message come from?
>>

>Yes of course it works, I didn't just randomly type code and post it:
>
>class pgConn : wxFrame

Deriving from wxFrame doesn't mean it gets events, because the default
wxFrame constructor won't create a window, so it's no window in win32's
sense. I just checked the msw implementation of wxTimer, it doesn't use
the message loop, but a callback proc, that's why it's working. Still,
declaring pgConn to a kind-of window doesn't make me feel too
comfortable (wxEvtHandler should be sufficient). I'd rather like to have
the pg classes free of all this sm_xxx stuff.

Regards,
Andreas