Re: Triggers on SELECT?

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Triggers on SELECT?
Date: 2003-10-09 19:08:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Now that we have Statement-level triggers, is there any reason we shouldn't
>> have triggers on SELECT?
>
> Plenty, although I'm too tired to recall 'em all. The fundamental
> problem with this is that it turns SELECT into an operation with
> side-effects.

The other fundamental problem is the definition of SELECT. To show just
one of the 273 possible problems:

UPDATE sometab SET foo = 'bar'
WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM othertab WHERE o_id = s_id);

Now explain in detail what the ON SELECT trigger on othertab will be
fired for.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #