Re: "/usr/bin" supposed to exist?

From: stephan(dot)michael(dot)rupp(at)t-online(dot)de
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "/usr/bin" supposed to exist?
Date: 2003-10-05 08:11:52
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Hello, Frank,

> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 04:09:40PM +0200, Cornelia Boenigk wrote:
> >
> >>if you try to find /usr/bin in Windows explorer: you don't see it,
> >>seems not available.  if you run the cygwin bash and cd to /usr/bin
> >>you will see all programmes installed.
> >

> > Under Cygwin, /usr/bin is a mount point:
> >
> >     $ mount | fgrep /usr/bin
> >     C:\Cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
>
> Not sure, but this user may be experiencing the wonderful phantom
> /usr/bin issue, where /usr/bin is there if you type a command like
>
> 	cd /usr/bin
>
> but if you type
>
> 	cd /usr
> 	ls
>
> you don't see it.

That's it exactly, Frank!

Does this has any impacts on the functionality of CygWin/PostgreSQL (besides the fact
that I don't   s e e   it...)?

Kind regards
Stephan

> This has happened to me twice now in the past 6
> months.  Not sure why, other than Cygwin setup.exe or one of the post
> install scripts mangling something along the way.
>
> I found a post online someplace (Google for "missing Cygwin /usr/bin
> directory") on how to get things back the way they should be.  It
> basically involved ripping out the mount and then rebuilding it.  But be
> careful, because without the /usr/bin mounting, any commands you type
> (like 'ls') may require the full path.  Basically, to "rebuild" things
> so /usr/bin appears, do the following (assuming you have Cygwin
> installed at 'C:\cygwin'; adjust as necessary):
>
> $ cd /usr
> $ umount /usr/bin
> $ /bin/rmdir bin
> $ /bin/mkdir bin
> $ /bin/mount -f -s -b "C:/cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
>
> This should set things so you see the /usr/bin directory again.
>
> Note I have not had an issue with apps not working when this occurs.  It
> is just that there does not "appear" to be a ./bin directory in /usr.
> All the usual commands, though, work to access the files at this mount
> point.  Very weird.  But I like directory listings to show things
> properly, so I do the above when necessary.

Stephan Rupp
- Philologe / Netzwerkspezialist -
Mirabeauweg 4
D-72 072  Tübingen
Tel.: +49 (7071) 84093
Fax: +49 (7071) 84048
E-Post:	stephan(dot)rupp(at)gmx(dot)net
	stephan(dot)michael(dot)rupp(at)t-online(dot)de