initdb

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Postgresql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: initdb
Date: 2003-10-03 18:32:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

I now have a C implementation of initdb, which successfully runs with
"make check" on my several linux machines, and compiles on Windows/MinGW
too (can't run make check on Windows because we haven't got a native
postgres yet - I'm going to create a small dummy Windows postgres that
will let me check if this program works there).

There's a little work still to go (see below), but I'd appreciate some
eyeballs on it to see if I have made any major booboos, or could have
done things better. What's the best way to proceed? (All told it's about
2500 lines of C.)

cheers

andrew

From the heading comment:

/ *
* initdb
*
* This is a C implementation of the previous shell script for setting up a
* PostgreSQL cluster location, and should be highly compatible with it.
*
* TODO:
* - signal handling
* - more error checking, partiularly on the file i/o
* - check if we need workaround for timing error on win32 rmdir()?
* - clean up find_postgres code and return values
* - free up used memory? (probably not worth it - if we can't load this
* much data into memory how will we ever run postgres anyway?)
*/