Re: count(*) slow on large tables

From: Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)nsd(dot)ca>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: count(*) slow on large tables
Date: 2003-10-03 15:48:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Well I can think of many more case where it would be usefull:

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT x) FROM ...
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ... WHERE x = ?

Also having transaction number (visibility) would tip the balance more
toward index_scan than seq_scan because you do not have to look up
visibility in the data file. We all know this has been an issue many
times.
Having a different index file structure when the index is not UNIQUE
would help too.
The last page of a non unique index could hold more stats.