Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-10-01 20:02:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>and the question as i thought was being discussed (or should be
>discussed) was what is the level of interest in having this work kept in
>the community cvs tree vs. someone else's quasi-forked branch...

It is my thinking that regardless of commercial backing that the
PostgreSQL project as a whole would gain better validity
within the commercial world if we maintained releases longer.

It is really irrelevant whether somebody pays me or you 500.00 buck to
make a patch and submit it to the tree. What is
relevant IMHO is that the community is backing a release for longer than
12-18 months.

Yes a commercial company could just pick it up and say ... hey we will
support it for x (Mammoth 7.3.4 is supported until 2005 for example)
but I was more looking at this from an overall community perspective.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org