Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on maintaining 7.3
Date: 2003-10-01 19:31:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>then maybe they would be willing to donate some small amount each ($500 or
>so) to pay for backporting issues. Since mostly what I'd want on an older
>version would be bug / security fixes, that $500 should go a long way
>towards backporting.

Sure.

>I was under the imporession that 7.4 removed the need to reindex caused by
>monotonically increasing index keys, no?

Someone else brought that up. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but
it was my understanding that 7.4 fixes alot of
the issues but one of the issues (index bloat) although improved is not
entirely fixed and thus we would still need reindex?
Tom am I on crack?

>Yeah, I would rather have had more back porting to 7.2 because there were
>tons of little improvements form 7.2 to 7.3 I could have used while
>waiting for 7.4's improved pg_dumpall to come along.

Well there ya go :)

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com