Re: NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit triggers for foreign-key

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit triggers for foreign-key
Date: 2003-10-01 13:30:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
 > Regarding the NOTICE
 >
 > CREATE TABLE will create implicit triggers for foreign-key checks
 >
 > Does anyone care?

I don't care but is a way for a beginner to understand that behind
a foreign key there is a TRIGGER that have not a 0 cost.

 > The other "helpful" notices about sequences for serial columns and
 > for unique constraints have some merit, because they inform the user
 > objects that the user might be interested in are going to be created as a
 > side effect.  But there's nothing that a user can reasonably do with an
 > implicit trigger for a foreign-key check.  ISTM that this notice is about
 > as interesting as the information that CREATE VIEW will create an
implicit
 > rule.

I think that this is a particular implementation of Postgres translate a
View on a Rule, am I wrong ?

BTW shall be nice have this kind of "NOTICE", that may be is better call
"INTERNALS", and switchable off.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola