expanding on syslog help

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: expanding on syslog help
Date: 2003-09-30 05:44:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi Guys,

I just spent the last half hour learning syslog and log rolling with
postgres.  Would there be objections to me expanding on the syslog
sections in the docs?

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/logfile-maintenance.html

I want to:

* Add a link to the third paragraph there where it says to set syslog to
2 that goes to the syslog section of the SET parameters page.

* Give an example of how to configure your syslog.conf to log to a
separate postgres log.  eg:

"Depending on your system, to have syslog log PostgreSQL entries to a
particular file, add something like this to the top of your
/etc/syslog.conf:

# Log all 'postgres' events to /var/log/pgsql
!postgres
*.*                                             /var/log/pgsql
# Nothing after this line applies to 'postgres'
!-postgres
"

* Mention that you might want to turn log_pid and log_timestamp off
since syslog logs them anyway

* Mention something about system log rotator?  Or is that too
platform-specific?

Chris