Re: PostgreSQL <> MySQL: missing the point?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL <> MySQL: missing the point?
Date: 2003-09-22 20:04:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello,

I would be willing to donate $$$ to the printing of brochures.
Specifically brochures that would point out:

1. MySQL's NON ACID compliance
2. PostgreSQL ACID compliance
3. MySQL license issues
4. PostgreSQL NON License issues
5. PostgreSQL long development history
6. Examples of successful PostgreSQL users

etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

Jan Wieck wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Alexey, Ian,
>>
>>> There are 2 sorts of people using MySQL:
>>> 1) Those who know several RDBMSs and use it only when it is the best
>>> tool for the job (read-only web DB, storing logs, etc)
>>> 2) Those who know only MySQL and think that it is the Ultimate Solution
>>> for Everything.
>>

>> Actually, for Comdex, I'm concerned about:
>>
>> 3) Management who know nothing about technology and are considering
>> MySQL because MySQL AB has very nice brochures.
>>
>> This is *very* important becuase no-nothing management types are
>> frequently in a position to mandate technology choice. MySQL, like
>> Microsoft before them, have realized that being *perceived* as an
>> enterprise database is, from a sales perspective, almost as good as
>> being one.
>> We will be at the convention with some card tables, some CDs and a
>> handful of xeroxed brochures. MySQL will have a multi-media booth
>> with big banners and uniforms. We need some substance to counter the
>> glitz, and this is a very good start.
>>
>> That being said, I would like to see Alexey's other points included
>> in the paper. *particularly* the part about license changes and
>> MySQL's closed development process.
>>

> Where
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-09/msg01400.php
>
> fit's perfectly.
>

> Jan

+1-503-222-2783 - jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com - http://www.commandprompt.com
The most reliable support for the most reliable Open Source database.