Re: PG + PHP, was Re: Zend survey result about dbms...

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Lista dyskusyjna pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG + PHP, was Re: Zend survey result about dbms...
Date: 2003-09-20 22:37:51
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-php

Tom Lane wrote:

> Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com> writes:
>
>>In the past, one hack would be to use setenv() and getenv() of the
>>backend to implement these functions. What about a contrib module that:
>

> Uh, what exactly does it buy you to involve an environment variable
> in this process? I think it just adds fragility. (For example,
> exposing setenv to the user creates the risk that he'll overwrite
> something of importance, like PATH.)

Actually, I meant that setenv() and getenv() would only be used to
store the memory address of a privately manipulated variable map. I
did not mean that it should actually be used to store and retrieve the
variables themselves. If there is already a way to palloc() memory
using a key that lives for the lifetime of a backend, then that's
obviously the way to go. I was proceeding under the assumption that
there wasn't.

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com