Re: increase performancr with "noatime"?

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: increase performancr with "noatime"?
Date: 2003-09-09 12:44:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 04:12:48PM +0800, JM wrote:
>
>>would it cause problem in postgres DB if /var/lib/psql partition is mounted
>>with "noatime"?
>

> No; in fact, that's been suggested by many people. I don't know
> whether anyone's done any tests to prove that it helps.

http://www.potentialtech.com/wmoran/postgresql.php#results

You can see, from my _limited_ testing, that it doesn't seem to help enough
to be worth worrying about. In this test, it actually seems to hurt
performance. Read the whole page, though. These tests are heavy on the
writing, it's quite possible that it could improve things if your database
is a heavy read scenerio.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies