Re: [HACKERS] 2-phase commit

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, "Advocacy (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 2-phase commit
Date: 2003-08-29 00:50:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 22:46:58 -0700,
> Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:
>
>>That's an interesting observation, because I've long thought PeopleSoft
>>ought to support Postgres too. From what I recall, their database schema
>>is *very* database neutral (at least as of PSFT version 7.x) and fairly
>>simple (we ran it on MSSQL 6.5). It would probably be pretty easily
>>ported to run on Postgres.
>

> In my opinion it is too database agnostic. They pretty much just use the
> DB as a file. From what I have seen of the system it is one big hack.

Yeah, I didn't say I *liked* their schema, just that I thought it would
be easy for them to support Postgres ;-)

Like it or not, they are one of the larger ERP/CRM players (after the
merger with JDEwards, they will be *ahead* of Oracle, only second to
SAP), and having them offer PostgreSQL support would be significant. If
the XA/Tuxedo thing is an issue, they could position it for mid-tier
customers who don't need the transaction manager anyway.

Joe