Re: DB Journal: PostgreSQL Software Installation

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB Journal: PostgreSQL Software Installation
Date: 2003-08-28 15:37:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 28 Aug 2003 at 9:07, Jacob Hanson wrote:
> If I knew anything about shell scripting I'd offer to help streamline
> the process. But alas...

Problem is there are customizations people often do between these steps.

e.g. If you write a shell script, how would somebody symlink WAL directory to
another drive.

OK, somebody who knows to symlink WAL directory would know setting up
postgresql from scratch like back of his hand. But that's just one point.

I agree that dumbing down is good to lower initial entry barrier. But it's a
concios choice. Postgresql always value choice and power over dumbing down
things.

Of course there could be enough documentation to make it look really easy. Like
http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/PostgresQL101

HTH

Bye
Shridhar

--
Yes, it is written. Good shall always destroy evil. -- Sirah the Yang, "The
Omega Glory", stardate unknown