Re: Do we need "Diagnostics" sections of SQL command reference pages?

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we need "Diagnostics" sections of SQL command reference pages?
Date: 2003-08-26 13:19:36
Lists: pgsql-docs
On 26 Aug 2003 at 9:14, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org> writes:
> > On 25 Aug 2003 at 17:37, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I'm starting to look at updating the docs to match 7.4 error message
> >> spellings.  I find that a large part of the work I'll have to do is in
> >> updating the "Diagnostics" (formerly "Outputs") section of the command
> >> reference pages.
>
> > Do you have a URL for that.
>
> Any of the SQL command reference pages, eg
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-createdatabase.html

Thanks.  I was looking for a single section.

The value I see in those message is it gives the reader more
information about what can go wrong.  The above example shows that
you cannot use "create database" within a transaction.

Also, the information under "ERROR: Could not initialize database
directory." is pretty good.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/