Re: Do we need "Diagnostics" sections of SQL command reference pages?

From: "Dan Langille" <dan(at)langille(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we need "Diagnostics" sections of SQL command reference pages?
Date: 2003-08-26 12:26:26
Lists: pgsql-docs
On 25 Aug 2003 at 17:37, Tom Lane wrote:

> I'm starting to look at updating the docs to match 7.4 error message
> spellings.  I find that a large part of the work I'll have to do is in
> updating the "Diagnostics" (formerly "Outputs") section of the command
> reference pages.

Do you have a URL for that.  I was looking at
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html and didn't
find it.

> I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to just rip
> out these sections entirely.  They seem like nearly content-free fluff
> to me --- the listings of possible error messages are always incomplete,
> often out of date, and arguably useless.  If there is an error message
> that's not clear enough by itself, we'd better fix the error message
> instead of putting a gloss on it in the reference page.
>
> Comments?

I have never been a fan of error codes.  I think that the error
messages should contain enough information to fix the error.  It
saves the reader time and reduces the load on support mechanisms
(e.g. the mailing lists).
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/