Re: [HACKERS] Can't find thread on Linux memory overcommit

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Can't find thread on Linux memory overcommit
Date: 2003-08-21 17:08:47
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
I replied to Josh thus:

-----------------------

You need to be careful using Alan's patch. The reason RH stopped using
this part of it in their errata kernels is that it had conflicts with
other stuff, specifically the rmap stuff (he told me that himself in
email).

I am very wary of advising people to use what is essentially an
experimental patch in a production system. This should be a last resort
- a better solution is to have better control over what is running on
your db server, so you can ensure it never gets into an OOM situation.
For mission critical apps I would advise running the postmaster on a
dedicated machine, with no X or other nasty stuff running.

I do have a doc patch ready (with one sensible addition suggested by Jon
Jensen).

andrew