Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: "Adam H(dot) Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Claus Helbing <claus(dot)helbing(at)descom-consulting(dot)ch>,pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 15:31:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Claus Helbing wrote:
>
>> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>>

>>> Data is NOT held in the grid, but on the server, and only retrieved
>>> when requested, so sorting would require a re-query.
>>>

>> Hmm ... you are the developper ... but since I can scroll up and down
>> I guess the data is on the client somewhere?
>> Also the button refresh and the status line "Refreshing data, please
>> wait"
>> indicate that data is tranfered to the client.
>> Since it is on the client (in a grid or another datastructure)
>> couldn't it just be sorted localy ?
>>
> It is done on the server, and only rows needed are transferred on
> demand to the client. There's  only a cache  on the client side.
> Believe me, no chance to sort!

I assume when you say that sorting the rows would require a re-query,
you are referring to a new SQL statement with a "ORDER BY" clause.  I
think what he's asking for is perfectly do-able without a new query.
Since the rows are stored in a grid control of some sort, then you
should be able to sort the rows using the function of that grid control
itself.  This sort would have *no* impact on the actual data, where it
is in the database, etc.  I would imagine that this sort of this would
be possible only if the wxWindows control used to display the data
supported it.  I will do some reasearch and see if it can be done.

Andreas is right about this one.  Ctrl-A (select all text) is only going
to work if wxWindows supports it.  Really it should be a function of the
control/widget that the text boxes are natively implemented in
(comctrl32.dll on win), so I see no reason that it shouldn't work.
Again, I will do some reasearch and see what I can dig up.

ahp