Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Claus Helbing <claus(dot)helbing(at)descom-consulting(dot)ch>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some remarks to pgadmin III
Date: 2003-08-15 15:14:33
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Claus Helbing wrote:

>Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>Data is NOT held in the grid, but on the server, and only retrieved when
>>requested, so sorting would require a re-query.
>>

>Hmm ... you are the developper ... but since I can scroll up and down ...
>I guess the data is on the client somewhere?
>Also the button refresh and the status line "Refreshing data, please wait"
>indicate that data is tranfered to the client.
>Since it is on the client (in a grid or another datastructure)
>couldn't it just be sorted localy ?

It is done on the server, and only rows needed are transferred on demand
to the client. There's only a cache on the client side. Believe me, no
chance to sort!

>Of course not ... I thought of a tab-separated format with \t and \n
>placeholders for actual tab characters and linefeeds in the strings.
>MS Query seems to do it that way eventhough I do not know how it
>handles linefeeds and tab characters.
>

>>>Could there be an option to copy the column headings ?
>>>

>>Again: which format? Nothing senseful around. We have the Export
>>function, which has quite some options to satisfy different format
>>needs. None of them is sufficient for clipboard purposes.
>>

>Idem.

Why \t? I virtually never use that format. I prefer ; .... And \n or
\n\r ? And so on. This is an endless story.

>>>Query Tool:
>>>No Ctrl-A ... (Ctrl-.Shift-End works)
>>>

>>Ctrl-A works where it makes sense, in the query edit field.
>>

>I would use it to select the all the result in order to copy it
>using the tabseparated format :-)
>
>BTW if no copying of data is allowed so what is the cell selectiuon
>thing about.

Rows can be marked to be deleted.
It's always the problem about those multifunctional controls. You often
get partial features you don't really need, or even irritate. And it's
even not complete, we're not too happy with in-place editing
capabilities. If you'd like to implement a replacement... platform
independent, of course.

>P.S: I know that I am a PITA ;-)

No, not yet. Just post more bugs :-)

Regards,