Re: DROP TYPE/DROP DOMAIN

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP TYPE/DROP DOMAIN
Date: 2003-08-07 17:44:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>"Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>

>>But should the CREATE DOMAIN manual page refer to DROP TYPE? Should DROP
>>DOMAIN be able to drop a type?
>>

><shrug> Don't care much about either of those; the current state of
>affairs is fine with me.
>

>>What happens in the future if for some
>>reason we need to add some special case to dropDomain() and the coder
>>neglects to add it to dropType()?
>>

>That would be a bug without regard for any of this discussion, because
>both RemoveDomain and RemoveType are simply user interface routines;
>they do no actual work. If someone put actual work into either, it'd
>be wrong because it would not get done during a cascaded drop.

While implementing the new ALTER DOMAIN ... OWNER TO stuff, I found that
there's no corresponding command for TYPE (and ALTER DOMAIN will reject
a TYPE). IMHO this should go on TODO for symmetry reasons. And how about
AGGREGATE, CONVERSION, SEQUENCE? (the latter can be changed by ALTER TABLE).

Regards,
Andreas