Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "Advocacy (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Cornelia Boenigk <c(at)cornelia-boenigk(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date: 2003-07-31 12:29:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs pgsql-general

Hi Rory,

My feeling on this is that the most effective thing to do here would be to add information about PostgreSQL functions to the PHP manual, and - perhaps even more
importantly - to add information if possible to the PHP manual mentioning PostgreSQL in key places.

For one small example, in the "Getting Started"->"Installation"->"Unix/Solaris install" section/page it mentions:

"In addition, you will need to install (and possibly compile) any additional software specific to your configuration, such as Oracle or MySQL."

Updating small points like this to specifically mention PostgreSQL in the same place that others are mentioned should be affective advocacy/promotion to newbies
that read through these sections. i.e.:

"In addition, you will need to install (and possibly compile) any additional software specific to your configuration, such as Oracle, PostgreSQL or MySQL."

An area of the PHP manual that seems very MySQL specific is the "FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions"->"Database issues" page, where it goes into detail on how to
access MySQL from Windows. It would probably be worthwhile adapting that to also cover PostgreSQL properly too.

Perhaps doing a search for "MySQL" and/or "Oracle" and/or "SQL" in the existing PHP manual, then compiling a hit list of places where it will be effective to
add mention of PostgreSQL, then doing it, would be the way to go?

As another thought, maybe adding a "Using databases" section, with PostgreSQL examples, to the "Features" section of the PHP manual would be worthwhile too.

What do you think?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift