Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)

From: DeJuan Jackson <djackson(at)speedfc(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)
Date: 2003-07-30 21:13:55
Lists: pgsql-general
scott.marlowe wrote:

>Ahhh.  OK.  Yeah, when I first started writing stuff in it and figured out
>the cgi version worked fine as a scripting language I was so happy.  Due
>to its http heritage, you have to run it with a -q switch to tell it to
>not add headers to its output.
>It can even do asyn stream handling, but I haven't played with that much.
>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org so that your
This is off topic but...

Newer versions (4.3.*) of PHP compile a command line (php-cli) instance.
You no longer have to do two compiles when building the apache module.
Some features of which (from

      Unlike the CGI SAPI, no headers are written to the output.

      Though the CGI SAPI provides a way to suppress HTTP headers,
      there's no equivalent switch to enable them in the CLI SAPI.

      CLI is started up in quiet mode by default, though the -q switch
      is kept for compatibility so that you can use older CGI scripts.

      It does not change the working directory to that of the script.
      (-C switch kept for compatibility)

      Plain text error messages (no HTML formatting).

      There are certain php.ini directives which are overriden by the
      CLI SAPI because they do not make sense in shell environments

    * ...

And yes the stream handling is very nice and will be even better when
5.0.0 hits the release stage, not to mention the class implementation