Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)

From: DeJuan Jackson <djackson(at)speedfc(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Minimal system (was Re: Basic questions before start)
Date: 2003-07-30 21:13:55
Lists: pgsql-general

scott.marlowe wrote:

>Ahhh. OK. Yeah, when I first started writing stuff in it and figured out
>the cgi version worked fine as a scripting language I was so happy. Due
>to its http heritage, you have to run it with a -q switch to tell it to
>not add headers to its output.
>
>It can even do asyn stream handling, but I haven't played with that much.

This is off topic but...

Newer versions (4.3.*) of PHP compile a command line (php-cli) instance.
You no longer have to do two compiles when building the apache module.
Some features of which (from
http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php):

*

Unlike the CGI SAPI, no headers are written to the output.

Though the CGI SAPI provides a way to suppress HTTP headers,
there's no equivalent switch to enable them in the CLI SAPI.

CLI is started up in quiet mode by default, though the -q switch
is kept for compatibility so that you can use older CGI scripts.

It does not change the working directory to that of the script.
(-C switch kept for compatibility)

Plain text error messages (no HTML formatting).

*

There are certain php.ini directives which are overriden by the
CLI SAPI because they do not make sense in shell environments

* ...

And yes the stream handling is very nice and will be even better when
5.0.0 hits the release stage, not to mention the class implementation
improvements.