Re: postgresql.conf

From: Ron <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf
Date: 2003-07-30 18:59:42
Lists: pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Robert,
>

>>Are you planning on differentiating between dedicated machines and
>>

>multi-server
>

>>machines? For example, a dedicated database for a webserver would be tuned
>>differently from a server that was running both the webserver and the
>>

>database on
>

>>the same machine.
>>

>My thought is when we define "Small Machine" in at the top of the file we
>define it as "Small Machine or Multi-Purpose machine".  The settings should
>be nearly the same for a machine that has only 64MB of *available* RAM as one
>that has only 96MB of RAM at all.

We are using postgres 7.3.2 for one of our clients with a smallish db,
on a p4 with 4G ram box which also servers as a web server and a
web-based file repository (~ 80G). We are starting another project for
another customer, on a p4 with 2G ram, and the db will be larger, approx
7-15G when finished. This box will also be used as a web server, and as
it won't go 'live' until the fall, will run 7.4.

I don't know if this is representative of other postgresql installs, but
I would also put in my vote for the differentiation added, as these are
not small machines but are multi-server boxes.

my 2 cents worth
Ron

PS   the new postgresql.conf performance tuning docs are extremely
helpful, thanks