Re: Suggestions for the next version

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Brage Førland <brage(at)zoo(dot)uib(dot)no>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggestions for the next version
Date: 2003-07-29 22:01:44
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Brage Førland wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:44:03PM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>Brage Førland wrote:
>>

>>>2. Add a 'View' tab to the pane, essentially an in-place version of the
>>>'view
>>> data' window. This makes it much more easy to browse through many
>>> tables.
>>>

>>Hm, don't really like that. Putting the DataView in the lower right
>>corner has several disadvantages: it's small and for worse it's slowing
>>down object browsing, which contradicts the intention.
>>

>A data view in the right pane could be in addtion to the larger window you
>get if you choose 'view data' from the context menu. It wouldn't be that
>small if the right pane wasn't divided in two sections. It also should not
>have any impact on performance unless the user has the view data-pane in
>focus.

That would make the DataView longer, but not wider. If you have only
tables with <5 columns, that might be ok.... And would increase
complexity (and usability) concerning menu handling.

>> The Query Tool
>>doesn't belong logically into that corner, actually it can be regarded
>>separated from the browsing tree at all (and it needs its separate
>>menu). So I think it's best the way it is now, and Borland just tried to
>>marry everything into one window, if it belongs together or not.
>>

>An in-place SQL-tool would make sense for the DDL. If you choose av view,
>select the SQL-tab, you'd get the DDL for the view, which you might edit and
>run. Beeing able to run an arbitary SQL query in the window would just be a
>bonus.

Why should you run the reverse-engineered SQL? It reflects (partially)
what's already present in the database! It's suggested as a starting
point or template to make some more complicated changes. And they could
be quite dangerous too!
Additionally, as with the View Data, we get menu handling problems.
What's the meaning of F5? Currently, on the main window, it's refresh,
and in the query tool it's the sql version of it, execute. So what is F5
supposed to be if windows are mangled together?
No, I the longer we're discussing this, the less I like it.

Regards,
Andreas