Re: Another exception (Transaction level)

From: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Ole Streicher <ole-usenet-08(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Another exception (Transaction level)
Date: 2003-07-28 13:09:57
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Ole Streicher wrote:

> I'd propose to put this information directly into the table - either
> by removing the two not supported levels, or by flagging them somehow.

As I've mention before they _are_ supported and as _per standard_.
The standard allows implementations to provide a higher isolation level
in place of any lower level that is not implemented.

These isolation levels are only intended for you to rely on whatever
isolation they guarantee, not on what you could be able to see if the
isolation protections are not in place. There is no guarantees on what
you will be able to see.

The comment you are asking for belongs to a book that teaches people
SQL. The PostgreSQL manual assumes SQL knowledge (it is stated right at
the beginning).

Regards,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat Canada Ltd. E-Mail: fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com