Re: Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index

From: Dmitry Tkach <dmitry(at)openratings(dot)com>
To: Brian Johnson <bjohnson(at)johnson-engineering(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index
Date: 2003-07-16 19:45:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Brian Johnson wrote:

>I keep getting this error from a complex, multi-table php app
>
>postgres[4513]: [4] ERROR: Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index
>lang_pkey
>
>To help me find the problem, is there a way to get logging to show what table the
>error is caused by or what SQL code is causing it?
>

>Also, from researching this problem on the internet, it look slike the unique index
>would normally have three segments table_field_key .. any idea why this one is
>listed differently?

PK indexes are different, because there can only be one pkey on a table,
there is no need for the 'field' part.
So your index name looks like <tablename>_pkey...
I guess, this answers your question about 'what table the error is
caused by'...

As for 'what SQL code', you can set debug_print_query=true in
postgresql.conf - this will make it print all the sql queries you
execute to the log file...

I hope, it helps...

Dima