Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>,"Advocacy (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date: 2003-06-23 01:20:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-docspgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Joe,
>>
>> > Interesting thread (php-dev subj: removing bundled libmysql):
>> >    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-dev&m=105621066832429&w=2
>> >
>> > I particularly liked this post:
>> > (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-dev&m=105621207500778&w=2)
>>
>> Boy, Monty's making friends all over, ain't he?
>
> [ CC to general.]
>
> [ MySQL changes client library to GPL.]
>
> This is _very_ interesting, and not surprising.  MySQL got users to
> adopt MySQL, then they change the client license to get users to
> purchase commercial, non-GPL licenses.
>
> We need to use this opportunity to encourage PHP folks to switch to
> PostgreSQL.

Not surprising at all. And I think to make the big touting that MySQL
will continue to support open source and bla, bla, and then putting this
pretty severe change into the better hidden fine print is a good example
how $19.5M affect someones ethics.

To clearify, we need to encourage the PHP developer community to
encourage the PHP user community to switch to PostgreSQL.

What I'm worried about is exactly the people who adopted MySQL already.
The change to another database will be painfull no matter what. How many
of them will be willing to give another open source database a shot?

> Notice the second URL mentions Interbase before PostgreSQL, which I find
> curious.

That's simply alphabetical, don't try to interpret something into it.

Jan