Re: pgAdmin III

From: Sven Köhler <skoehler(at)upb(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andreas Pflug <Andreas(dot)Pflug(at)web(dot)de>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III
Date: 2003-06-19 20:27:15
Lists: pgadmin-support

>>So i should add one:
>>If i try to view a table with pgAdminIII (by klicking on the
>>sunglasses
>>or by doing a "select *" in the SQL window) pgAdmin crashes.
>>The crash is caused a memory access violation.
>
> Very odd. I'm using it in preference to pgAdmin II in production now and finding 200,000 row tables barely make it blink. Is it a specific table, or schema? Also, are there any potential trouble-making columns in your tables such as blobs or byte arrays?

I have absolutely _no_ idea, why pgAdminIII crashes.
The tables i try to view consist of only one simple column - it was a
test-database i created, and even with those simple tables (just an
int-column) pgAdminIII crashes.
When using the SQL window, i can see the result in the background when
the windows' standard crash-dialog pops up.
It's perhaps something than happens afterwards.

> pgAdmin III has two classes pgConn and pgSet which which roughly emulate the MDAC functionality that pgAdmin II used. These classes make use of libpq (statically linked on Windows), not ODBC (this is mainly why the query engine is so much better now performance wise).

Sweet - i didn't like the dependecy on the ODBC driver (i don't like
ODBC that much). I'm also glad that pgAdminIII comes with Unicode-support.